Bizarre Little Known Laws

« Back to Home

Custody Agreement Not Working? 4 Reasons You May Need To Get It Modified

Posted on

Your custody and support agreement suited your needs when it was finalized. However, circumstances have changed since the divorce. Now you think the agreement needs to be modified. If you need significant changes to the orders, you'll have to get your divorce attorney involved. Here are four changes that might require a new court order.

One of You Is Moving Out Of State

When you agreed on the custody arrangements, you and your ex were living in the same state. However, now one of you is planning a long-distance move. If the new living arrangements are going to make the current court order impossible to follow, you'll need to come up with a new custody arrangement. Your new court order should include the following information:

  • Visitation dates and duration
  • Who will be responsible for transportation costs

Income Has Changed

Income changes can require changes to the current support orders. For instance, if you're the custodial parent – and you've recently lost your job – you may need to ask for an increase in your support payments. Likewise, if you're the parent who is required to pay child support, you may need to have your payments reduced due to unemployment.

It's also important to note that an increase in income may also be a reason to revisit the current support arrangements. This is particularly true if the parent responsible for child support payments has experienced an increase in income.

Your Ex Has Been Arrested

If your ex has recently been arrested for a serious crime, you should speak to your attorney as soon as possible – especially if the charges involve crimes against children. Before you speak to your attorney about custody changes, be sure to gather as much information about the charges as you can. This will help your attorney expedite the custody changes.

You Suspect Abuse

If you've noticed that your children are coming home with unusual injuries – and you suspect abuse – you need to report the injuries. It's also important that you speak to your attorney about modifying the custody and visitation agreement. In most cases, your attorney will be able to obtain emergency orders if there is enough evidence to substantiate the claims.

If your child custody and support orders are no longer sufficient, your attorney can help you modify the orders. The information provided above will help you identify circumstances that may necessitate a change in orders. To avoid legal problems, be sure to honor the current orders until your attorney can obtain new orders. 

To speak with a divorce attorney, contact a lawyer such as Harold Jarnicki Attorney At Law.